Thursday, March 31, 2011

Awesomesicles

Arrested Development is a television program that ran from 2003-2006, and while it is a funny show and all-around pretty good, I have found that sometimes people identify with the show as a means to establish intellectual dominance - in much the same way someone might like Frasier. This is unacceptable.

Recently, when out to dinner at the Fireplace in Southington, and, mind you, where part of our group was standing and chatting away from the group with some hanging-on interlopers, while we were trying to eat, which of course was very disconcerting and I'm fairly certain rude, the topic of Arrested Development came up quite excitedly from a member of the group. I agreed that the show was good, but added that it was over-rated. This caused great indignance on the part of the late-twenties female I was talking to, who immediately challenged me to produce no less than four better shows. I thought four was a bit much.

Surprised by the idea of any sudden challenge, let alone something so inconsequential and aggressively posed,  I immediately went blank, having not worn the right kind of shoes for this terrain. After taking a moment to get footing and take a breath, I was able to quickly spout in succession, a stream of superior shows: The League, Bored to Death, Modern Family and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia* were the first ones that came to mind. In a purposefully crass show of brute dominance I held out my hand with my thumb hidden behind my palm, wiggled my downward pointing fingers and said: "Awesomesicles!"

* I actually referenced The Inbetweeners here, but wasn't able to remember what the other show was at the time of pressing.

2 comments: