Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Inadvertently Voted Unicorn

Flacid, weak, shamefull apathy vote...

So the scene was exactly as I had anticipated - bedlam, mayhem, violence. Sign holding party members wrestling on the ground in the grips of their own brutal ideals. Voters of every party shouting and biting each other. I used stealth to slip by the anarchy and entered Newington Town Hall, my poling place.

Upon entering, they made me remove my shoes and asked for my street name at gunpoint. I thought this a little extreme, but dared not point it out because the person on the other end of the barrel was a teenage girl, and you don't want to rile them up.

After asking for my papers, the girl referenced her list and found that I wasn't on it. I knew in my heart that I was a goner - I was sure I would be relegated to the pile of bodies in the back of the building. I could see the sense of betrayal in her eyes. She called her boss over; a large man with shotgun resting on his shoulder. I tried to explain; "I've since moved, maybe I shouldn't be here..." I barely escaped with my life.

I attempted again in New Britain, the only city where I've ever successfully cast a vote. It was a similar scene with a similar reaction, only in here there was a strange little man obsessively pushing a tiny button on the wall mumbling something about "...every two hours..."

So I fucked up. I failed to register to vote in my town - I foolishly assumed that this information was electronic and ethereal like every other little tidbit of information Big Brother gathers. But this all leaves me with an ethical dilemma... I put forth due diligence to no avail, so for the next two years have I earned the right to complain?

3 comments:

  1. technically when you go to dmv to change your address included with your paperwork should be a voter registration card that, once filled out, should in theory make it to your voter registrars office which in turn should file you into the system. unfortunately that is not usually the case...lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, viscous democracy burn on me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course that is supposed to read Vicious (Adjective: Deliberately cruel or violent), not Viscous (Adjective: Having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity).

    ReplyDelete