Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reservoir Tip

I walked up to the Information desk and asked "So, where do you keep all the babies?" The old woman behind the desk frowned, unamused, and asked who we were there to see. Some friends had just made one and Jenny and I were on a mission looking for proof. It was toward the end of visiting hours and the halls were mostly empty. We were led to another floor, down a series of perpendicular corridors, through several electronic checkpoints and eventually to the room where the mother and child were kept.

The baby was definitely real, I could tell by the subtle waves of breathing and occasional cry, but she looked impossibly small wrapped in the tiny blanket. It was all I could do not to hold the child by her feet and measure and weigh her for comparison with various astrological and Mayan birth charts. At the time it seemed inappropriate and thought it might not go over well in the maternity ward... I was probably right.

The child was equipped with a mesmerizing hat - it was a tiny beanie with a reservoir tip. What could that be for, I thought? My extensive medical knowledge leaves out any explanation of what type of goo might be launched from the back of a screaming baby's head. Perhaps it's there to protect the nurses?

No comments:

Post a Comment