Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wood Handling Man

It would appear, by all good measures, that I am getting lazy. Well, while it is true that warm weather and good news slackens my angst, believe in the core of your very bones that it is not that I am getting lazy - it's that good news makes for bad literature. Sure, I could regale you with tales of how I've convinced an insurance company to give me more money than I paid for my car to fix it or how a neighbor just gave me a lawn mower and how in my quest for a DSLR camera I've finagled a free one... but where's the conflict? These things on their own are uninteresting. Onward toward victory, right?

This past weekend I was enlisted to distract my good friend, sculptor of young minds and all-around wood handling man, Mike, as his girlfriend prepped for his surprise birthday party. We went to the Hooker Brewing Company in Bloomfield and gorged ourselves on several tiny cups of their Blonde, Irish Red, excellent Munich and candy-sweet Watermelon Ale. Ah, nothing like a bright and sunny summer's day to sit inside a dark warehouse drinking fresh beer straight from the tank. This, followed closely by pizza and a pitcher at the Fireplace in Southington... the weather was perfect for deception.

And of course, the party. A few more gallons of beer and some tequila, and as you could imagine, I was deeply engrossed in a conversation with Mike's mom, who just-so-happened to be in town in time for the party. It was at about ten o'clock when I told her that I was going to kick her son's ass. At about ten thirty, Mike and Lory had gone to bed and it was time to go home. Long day.

2 comments:

  1. i do recall speaking with a very drunk maxx on the phone and then passed off to marty who began screaming in horror as you decided to play jack johnson that just so happened to be on his ipod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete